Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Time is slipping away from me! I can't believe it's been so long since I last updated. I haven't even taken any pictures since Halloween...if you asked me what our days consist of and why I've been so absent I couldn't even tell you. We are just living life I suppose.

Julia went back to school last week and it's been wonderful for all of us. Even though her Pre-K class is a 5 day a week program, she is only attending school on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. Monday and Thursdays she has PT and OT in the morning, and on Thursdays she also has speech. I'm hoping by the new year we can reduce the frequency of therapy down to once a week so she can go to school an extra day.

She is also going to start a very exciting program called Fast Forword. This software is promoted as building literacy and improving reading skills but it also increases cognition and processing. I first read about this amazing program in the book The Brain that Changes Itself (a highly recommended read to my fellow seizure parents...all about neuroplasticity) and was determined that when Julia was old enough I'd find a local program to enroll her in. As luck would have it, the only center in Cincinnati that offers it is just a couple of miles from our house. The program starts at age 5 but there is a preschool version for kids age 4 and up that they feel will be appropriate for Julia. I placed our order today and we should have the software in a week or so. It consists of 6-10 weeks of five 30 minute sessions a week. I'm so excited to see how it goes.

Other than that she is doing great. No seizures!

Daniel is doing wonderfully too. He is so close to walking...he will stand by himself for quite awhile, take steps between furniture, walk just holding one of my hands...it's exciting stuff! I'm sure by Christmas he will be walking full-time. And speaking of Christmas...we are thrilled to be spending Christmas in Texas. We didn't think it was going to happen this year, after all of the vacation time Michael had to take for Julia's surgery he has a negative balance this year for the first time ever. But after some creative wrangling we managed to make it work. We are thrilled that we'll get to see most of our family and that they will get to see Julia in person (Julia 2.0 I've been calling her).

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I'm SO glad you updated! I think about you guys all the time...I'm just so consumed right now. Trying to find our new balance!

Thanks for the book tip! Someone recently gave us an amazon gift certficate...I'm buying that book with it! I'm so ashamed...but most of my reading is blogs. I need to invest a little more time into other stuff too...or do I?


Anyway...

Oh...and btw...I know I homeschool the big kids. But Trevy will be going to school! I'm not THAT good! ;)

...danielle

blogzilly said...

Awesome, thanks so much for the update, I was hoping to see one like this. That program sounds awesome and I think I will have to actually look into that book, sounds like a must-read to me.

Glad things are on an up-swing for you all!