Friday, March 5, 2010

24 hours later...

...we are home! The EEG I'd been dreading for weeks came and went and is now behind us. We arrived at the hospital around 10am and were quickly shown to our room. Julia was in a great mood for the next couple of hours, we snuggled together in her hospital bed and watched Noggin on the new flat screen TVs they have in the monitoring rooms (nice upgrade, Childrens!) She didn't seem to be bothered being back in the hospital, maybe because at first she didn't know we were at the hospital. As we walked down the hallway to admitting she said "Okay, time for the airplane!"...yeah, she thought we were at the airport, which I can understand. The busy hallways and tall ceilings in the lobby did conjure up images of the airport.

Once the EEG techs came in to get her wired up the fun began. There was a lot of tears and they ended up having to use the papoose board to keep her still. But after all the leads were attached it only took some hugs from mom to calm her down and we settled in for an afternoon of more TV watching. There were only a few times she tugged at her cap and she did say at one point that her boo-boos itched (she kept pointing to her head and saying "my boo-boos" cute!) But other than that she was happy for the most part to stay in bed playing with some of the goodies I bought in the gift shop, napping or watching TV. The hospital food was a big hit as well...chicken tenders and fries for lunch and a quesedilla and fries for dinner. What more could a 4 year old ask for?!

Her neurologist didn't have time to stop by but did call me around 5pm. She said she'd been taking peeks at the monitoring and that it looked very good. No seizures, not that we expected any. I asked her if she saw any spiking and off the top of her head she said she didn't think she saw any...which is awesome. She'd also pulled up her last EEG prior to surgery to compare and said it was like night and day. I was able to view the monitor myself for a little while immediately after they hooked her up. It was hard for me to make sense of what I was seeing since she was still crying, moving around, etc. But it did seem very different from what I was used to seeing before.

She fell asleep around 8pm and I shared her hospital bed with her which made for a GREAT night's sleep as you can imagine. :) We were awoken right at 6am by another EEG tech to get her leads removed, were dressed and out of our room by 6:30 and out of the hospital by 7am. It was great.

So no official results yet. We are leaving for Detroit on Sunday to see Dr. Chugani on Monday. Hopefully there will be something ready by that point that can be faxed to him so that we can make some decisions on weaning her Vigabatrin. I am just so relieved that part is over.


Sophie's Story by Elaine said...

I know how much of a relief it is to have that behind you. It sounds like she did very well. I wish there was some way for the hookup to be easier. That is always the hardest part on Sophie.

The initially report sounds promising. I hope your visit with Dr. Chugani goes well. Will Julia also be getting a follow up MRI?

baby trevor's mommy said...

Awwww...she called them boo-boos? I've always hated it when the techs say "it doesn't hurt". The staff in Detroit left burn marks on Trevy's forehead that are STILL visible! And that was from last summer!

And speaking of travels and I hope you get GREAT news!



JSmith5780 said...

Glad it went well. Hope Dr C is happy and you can start minimizing the Vig.