Thursday, October 1, 2009

Another day...

We're still in a holding pattern, unfortunately. Urine culture was negative, chest x-ray negative. Still no reason for the fever she continues to run. The Dilantin was discontinued so that doesn't seem to be the reason (although she's much more alert, so I'm glad she's off it.) Dr. Sood said they're going to check her CRP (C-reactive protein) and if that's coming down it indicates the antibiotic is the cause. They aren't going to release her until they know more or it goes away though. I thought perhaps they might but I understand why they won't.

However! She is doing great other than that. Eating like a champ and this morning we even got some smiles and giggles out of her. Her strength is slowly coming back, she can sit up very well and keep her head up nicely. PT worked with her today on standing and it wiped her out but she did well.

I also got to speak to Cincinnati Children's and they strongly recommend she do inpatient rehab. She'll get PT, OT and speech twice a day plus therapeutic play time. If we were to do outpatient she'd be lucky to get each of those twice a WEEK. Can't argue with that. I think she'll respond quickly, we've already seen quite a bit of recovery without much therapy so maybe we can get by with a week of inpatient and then switch to outpatient.

Continuing to hope the fever disappears soon...

4 comments:

Helen said...

Smiles and Giggles ... Sweet!

JSmith5780 said...

Glad she's feeling better. Maybe SHE wants to stay long enough to meet Trevor? :) He is awfully cute

misslauren0707 said...

Good news!!! Now if that darn fever would just go away......

gabriellefaith said...

I just found your blog via Sophie's blog. When our daughter had a functional hemi done last summer she had a fever for about 4-5 weeks after surgery. Every single culture came back negative. The doctors felt it was aseptic meningitis which is basically an intense immune response to the surgery itself often triggered by blood entering the ventricle. We treated the fever with around the clock motrin to keep Gabby comfortable and to allow her to participate in inpatient rehab. Eventually the fever just disappeared.

I wish you the very best and pray this surgery
leaves your daughter completely seizure free!